19 iunie 2014

An alternate interpretation of Mosiah 13:27-32; 16:13-15

Nephi taught that we should liken the scriptures to ourselves. One way I do this is when I come across something that clearly doesn't apply to me (like the Law of Moses), I look for modern-day equivalents in my life, or parallel or similar tendencies, and then I reread the passage of scripture, substituting what I have been inspired to feel does apply to me. Like so:

And now ye have said that salvation cometh by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I say unto you that it is expedient that ye should keep your membership in the Church as yet; but I say unto you, that the time shall come when the it shall no more be expedient to keep your membership in the Church. And moreover, I say unto you, that salvation doth not come by the Church alone; and were it not for the atonement, which God himself shall make for the sins and iniquities of his people, that they must unavoidably perish, notwithstanding their membership in the Church.


And now I say unto you that it was expedient that there should be a church given to the children of Israel, yea, even a very strict church; for they were a stiffnecked people,

Therefore there was a church given them, yea, a church of hierarchy and of ordinances, a church which they were to participate in strictly from day to day, to keep them in remembrance of God and their duty towards him. But behold, I say unto you, that all these things were types of things to come.

And now, did they understand the purpose of the Church? I say unto you, Nay, they did not all understand the purpose of the Church; and this because of the hardness of their hearts; for they understood not that there could not any man be saved except it were through the redemption of God.

...

And now, ought ye not to tremble and repent of your sins, and remember that only in and through Christ ye can be saved? Therefore, if ye teach about the Church, also teach that it is a shadow of those things which are to come--Teach them that redemption cometh through Christ the Lord, who is the very Eternal Father. Amen.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu